Has it been a year already? Funny how time flies. My last relaxer was 9/17/11, and I fully became natural 11 months later. Call me a long-term transitioner who didn’t last that long 🙂
WHAT I LOVE MOST:
1. Only one texture, and it’s so much livelier (& of course healthier) than when it was relaxed or in-transition. Plus, detangling is much easier with ONE texture.
2. Natural up-dos are FIERCE! They last all day, and I’m telling you, I feel grown with something as simple as an afro puff. I can’t wait for my hair to get even larger and more bold 🙂
3. Styles last more than one day! Wash days may be a monster lol, but keeping it moisturized, and styled throughout the week takes 5 minutes! I’m starting a “twists throughout the week, twist-out on weekends” hair diet, so we’ll see how that works.
1. Back at square one: After 11 months of transitioning, I was able to tell when my hair was responding well, and when it need some extra TLC. Now, I feel like I’m starting all over. For example, I feel like I’m seeing too much hair in the comb and on the shower floor after each wash session. I know 4b/c hair is more prone to breakage, so I’m trying to be cautious, but only time will tell.
2. Stubborn hair type: I am 4b/c, so I have some of the tightest coils, and it’s REALLY difficult to get any type of curl definition. That is my next mission, bring out more of my curl definition.
3. Tangles and knots: I have less overall, but the ones I do come across are definitely more stubborn than when I was transitioning! I could more easily “unravel” a knot when transitioning, but in my 6 weeks of being completely natural, my hair locks up tighter and it takes more to time to delicately loosen.
Enough of the boring stuff 🙂 I love SEEING progress, so below is my journey over the past 12 months. It’s a bit self-indulgent lol, but I hope it inspires or helps someone!